Re: gEDA-user: Looking for a project

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 02:05, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
wrote:
> On 3/31/07, al davis <ad136@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > How about lab test equipment.  There is a real need for
> > simple stuff that is too simple to market at the high
> > prices the big instrument companies need to charge.  The
> > kind of equipment you need in a home lab.  Like Heathkit
> > used to make.
>
> One thing I am particularly interested in, is a bench RF
> signal generator, may be not of the class of HP 8640. It
> should be able to have adjustable  output frequency and level
> to start with.  It should be easy to replicate and should use
> commonly available parts like DDS, 1206 parts for instance.

If you look at the designs of older ones, you will see that they
did it with 2 or 3 tubes.   The basic design can be updated to
use today's components, with significantly improved
performance.

Another one that could be useful is a "Q-meter".  It is used for
measuring inductors and capacitors by resonance.