Re: gEDA-user: TwoStageAmp example

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 11:11, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Should I (especially as a simulation newbie) not be using the
> development snapshot?  I grabbed that one when I discovered
> that the 0.34 version installed by yum wouldn't load my spice
> netlist.  Looking around now, I see that I should have
> followed the "Old versions" link on the webpage instead of
> the "Development releases" link, and I could be playing with
> 0.35 instead.

You should not be using 0.34.

As to the choice of 0.35 or the development snapshot, it depends
on what you want.  If you want to get involved and help
development, you should use the snapshot.  Newbie help is
actually very important.  You uncover things that I would not,
and that a long time gnucap user would not.  That is extremely
valuable.

Many of the existing followers of gnucap are in it because of
the developing native Verilog-AMS support, which is not
available in free software now.  It is available only in high
priced proprietary software.  These people are, at least for
now, the strongest supporters.

The other group, more active users, is those who need what
gnucap now offers, which is the extra probes, the extra
flexibility in how the commands interact, the fourier command
that really works.

There are not many beginners using it, in spite of the
interaction that is actually better for beginners, if you don't
fall into the almost-spice trap.  There is a real problem with
beginner documentation.  If you use spice documentation, you
will see the problems but none of the advantages.  Also,
gnetlist only has partial support.

My priority has been to get Verilog-AMS working.  Documentation,
the web page, and other things like that have fallen behind.

The NG-spice project has put most of its effort into
documentation, the web page, and things like that.  The real
development in NGspice has been almost all finding things done
elsewhere and including them. Kind of an anti-fork.