Re: gEDA-user: Gnucap crash

On Sunday 08 April 2007 22:39, al davis wrote:
> This one is a common error when moving from spice to gnucap.
>   Spice dumps everything in a bag , shakes it up, and
> reorders as it wants.  Gnucap does things in exactly the
> order you ask.

A historical note ...  This statement is true.  The Spice
dot-card format is based on cards.  With cards, you just might
dump your box.  It doesn't matter.  The format was invented
around 1975, and has not been significantly updated.

With gnucap, a long time ago (about 1989) I and others thought
it made sense to build around and extend the spice format.
That worked for a while, but it really doesn't make sense
anymore.  It's caught in the middle.

Anyway ..

For simple jobs ...

Build the whole circuit.  Do not embed commands inside the
circuit.

Attach the instrumentation.  This is the .print, plot, probe
commands.

Then turn it on.  This is the op, dc, tran, ac commands.

In a real lab you check the operating point before you look at
it with signals.  With gnucap, you need to do that too, just
like a real lab.

For complex jobs ..  You can intermingle if you do it for a good
reason and know why you are doing it.  Don't do this at the
beginning.  If you get to this point, you have outgrown spice.

Read it like a set of sequential instructions.