gEDA-user: 274x Gerber Files

I am getting ready to send my files out for fabrication and have a few questions:

1. The soldermask for both sides of the board appear to be a negative image while everything else is positive - is this correct?

2. My boss uses Orcad and his inner layers are negative while the soldermask is positive - is there a standard?

3. I have seen some users who place a text description containing the file name and image orientation above the board outline for each layer? Is this necessary and could you do this using gEDA?

I am going to order some no-touch boards from protoexpress and I could just imagine no-touch meaning: "we sprayed all your pads with resist because you stated the soldermask image was positive - best wishes". Anyone ever experience any problems from fab houses over this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Ryan