Re: gEDA-user: 274x Gerber Files

> 1. The soldermask for both sides of the board appear to be a negative
> image while everything else is positive - is this correct?

Yes.  It defines the mask, not the holes in the mask.

> 2. My boss uses Orcad and his inner layers are negative while the
> soldermask is positive - is there a standard?

No.  Either works.  We use positives.

> 3. I have seen some users who place a text description containing the
> file name and image orientation above the board outline for each layer?
> Is this necessary and could you do this using gEDA?

It is not necessary.  I manually place some text (including layer
name) within the board outline, so I can verify the stackup.

> Anyone ever experience any problems from fab houses over this sort
> of thing?

Many people have had good luck with no-touch services.  The two I use
worked just fine.