Re: gEDA-user: Multiple open pages in gschem

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 22:02 -0400, Ales Hvezda wrote:
[snip]

> > To do it the "Gtk" way, it needs a Drawing-area per tab, which isn't
> > what the gschem data-structures are happy with. By current code, it
> > would probably need a "TOPLEVEL" per tab. I did almost get it working
> > before, but it was a mess.
>
> In one hand you have an approach to getting tabs into gschem with fairly
> minimal work (just a matter of hooking up the tabs) and relatively low
> risk.  In the other hand you have to completely rewrite and restructure
> a non-trivial number of existing data structures (and with somewhat
> higher risk).  One will take a few weeks and the other will take months.
> Darn those pesky tradeoffs. :)
>
> -Ales

The Gnome web-browser (Epiphany) appears not to have the visual nit. I
remember digging into their code last summer, and expect they use tabs
in the "intended" way. I agree that the work required doesn't justify
the extra complexity.

The benefit (long term) of re-jigging the data-structures is eventually
allowing multiple views of the same page, however this isn't really on
my "must have" features list. Perhaps it isn't even a desirable feature.

Perhaps we can have tabs optional and page-navigation (e.g. the [ 2 ] of
4 entries on the toolbar ) optional.

Neither of these really fit a "tree" like view of pages and hierarchy
though, so perhaps its best to navigate between open pages as a flat
list - with "jumping" between hierarchy levels retained in the current
"Down Symbol, Down hierarchy" shortcuts or buttons.

Peter C.