Re: gEDA-user: INSTALLATION FROM ISO

I am trying to install on a Knoppix 4.0 debian hd-install version
released in 2005 the lastest version of gEDA from the .iso image.

Ummmmm, any reason you need to run a 2005 version of Knoppix?

The .iso is tested on Fedora and on SuSE.  It also tends to work well
on plain vanilla Debian.  Why don't you use one of those distros?

I ran
./installer as a non-root user and it stops at one point saying
"no rule to make target libgeda-pc-install"

Your pkg-config command is either broken or missing, most likely.

For all I know, you have a consumer-grade version of Knoppix, in which
all the development stuff has been removed.  To use the .iso, you need
to have commands used by developers to compile software (make, gcc,
pkg-config, etc.).  You also need to have all the appropriate header
files.  Consumer-grade Linux distros have adopted the habit of only
giving you enough functionality that you can browse the web and send
e-mail.  I suppose this is to save space on the CD.

However, to use
the .iso you need to have a distro with the development stuff
installed an working.  The best way to get this is to use a supported
distro, like Fedora or SuSE.  Then, when you install the distro, make
sure you select all the developer tools as part of the installation.

Here's more info about using the .iso to install gEDA:

http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gedasuite_installation

Stuart