Re: gEDA-user: net labels question

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> Would it be very hard to make net names more robust against use of all
> the characters printed on modern keyboard? Footprint names could benefit
> from such robustness too. Hyphens in the footprint brought quite a bit of
> frustration during my early days of geda adoption.

It goes against being able to widely use gEDA tools with others.  That comes from lack of consensus
among engineers in general.  I say stick with widely usable, so that says keep signal names unixy...
and do some post processing for report publication if wanted.  Staying with names with low conflicts
lets us make a good working netlister.  Handling operator symbol characters like + and - and . is still
too big a problem to attack.   We need to get fully two way translatable netlists first.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX