Re: gEDA-user: net labels question

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 08:29:52 -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

> actually it is a result of abusing a private pcb interface.  I've ranted
> about this here before.

Last time I checked, gsch2pcb produced invalid *.pcb layout files when
confronted with hyphens in footprint names. This is about the worst thing
it could do, as it leaves the user totally clueless on what went wrong.
Has there been any effort to defuse this show stopper?

>>> My opinion:  No, but the netlister should convert non-compliant names
>>> to compliant names, and conversion back should restore the original
>>> name.
>>
>> My opinion: Please don't resort to such syntax tricks behind the
>> scenes.
>
> I don't think there is any choice here unless you want to be incredibly
> limited in what gschem allows.

There may may be room for compromise: Allow all sorts of names but
introduce design rules that check for specific the requirements of
specific back ends at the users request. Or let the user choose from a
list of back ends which naming conventions should be enforced.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211