Re: gEDA-user: Windows version of gerbv

At 06:45 AM 4/23/2008, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>Hi --
>
>[snip!]
>
> > Actually, I spoke with the assembly house today and I am not
> > convinced that my files are wrong.  Instead I am convinced that there
> > are *no* rules on how the XYRS data is to be interpreted and the
> > assembly house has to figure out how to use your data [...]
> > More likely it is a
> > matter of setting up the software to use the correct assumptions of
> > reference and rotation direction.
>
>Actually, I think this is a gerbv feature request: I envision a pop-up
>window which allows you to specify the base orientation for XYRS data:
>12 o'cloc, 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 3 o'clock.
>
>Maybe an XYRS configuration pop-up, including setting the orentation,
>also some type of pull-down selectors which allow you to specify which
>column (column number) holds each of the X, Y, R, and S data.  Maybe
>also a pattern to match for board side (TOP, FRONT, vs. BOTTOM, REAR,
>BACK).
>
>Some simple settable parsing parameters might help with situations
>like this.

Except that the real problem is knowing *how to set* the
parameters!  So far, from what I have found, the convention is for a
part with pin 1 in the lower left quadrant to be at angle 0 and the
rotation specified to be CCW.  It certainly won't hurt to allow other
settings, but I wonder if they will just create confusion and ways
for the user to goof up.  I would not suggest adding that until more
information is available on what is used.  But if it is added, a
rotation direction should also be selectable, CW vs CCW.

That is one of the points of confusion in my case.  The software I am
using to generate the XYRS file allows you to select the rotation
direction.  So I have to go back to the source file to check that I
selected it right.  Otherwise I would just know that it adhered to
the convention.

Rick