Re: gEDA-user: Why are visible attributes in a .sym not visible in my .sch?

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:18 -0600, Miles Gazic wrote:
> The
> attributes that aren't promoted that reside in my .sym files work
> properly when I create a BOM with gnetlist.  The problem is that they
> aren't visible on my schematic in gschem.

Maybe some of the experts can help you.

I as a (no too smart) user of gschem have the feeling that attributes
visible in symbols are visible in schematic too -- i.e my titleblock at
gedasymbols has all it attributes visible.

I have currently no idea how you manage to have attributes marked
visible in symbols, which are invisible in schematic. That was why I ask
for an example.

I am currently not sure if promoted attributes are really copied into
the schematic always -- maybe only if they are changed.

If you want to have visible, but not changeable text from symbols
visible in the schematic you can use plain text in the symbol. Many
symbols use this for the visible displayed name of a symbol, i.e 74HC04.
(I prefer to use a value attribute for this, so I can move or modify it
in the schematic in rare cases.)

There is a configuration option to specify which attributes are
promoted, maybe there is one which specify which attributes should be
invisible in gschem -- sorry I am not sure.

This attribute promotion was indeed very strange for me when I started
using gEDA more than 2 years ago, maybe I should read the documentation
again.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski