Re: gEDA-user: gschem, alert if symbols in schematic have changed?

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 14:02 -0700, Yamazaki R2 wrote:
> Yes gschem just replaces the symbol, no warning or anything.

OK, so my memory is correct.

> I know that when that happens in cadence virtuoso it gives you a
> warning box if the symbol has been updated since the last time you
> have opened the schematic. For large projects with multiple users this
> would be a nice feature to see with gschem but in my opinion the
> priority should be fairly low. Lots of bug fixes/features should go in
> before this.

I think is would be a really useful feature, and implementing it should
be not too difficult: Calculate a check sum if a symbol is inserted in
the schematic and store it in the schematic. When the schematic is
opened again and symbols are read in, check the checksum.

This would be very helpful if we share symbols. Currently, if two pins
are exchanged, we may miss this!

I think it may be a good idea to have two checksums -- one for the whole
symbol, and one for important things like pins and footprint. Give a red
alert if some important feature has changed, and a yellow if only
cosmetic changes are found.