Re: gEDA-user: OT: soldering QFN packages with exposed bottom pad?

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Guys:
>

> Got any recommendations for how to hand-solder a QFN package that has an
> exposed bottom pad?  At the moment, all I have is a soldering iron.
>
> Do you think I could just put a plated-through via underneath the pad,
> and then flow solder through that from the back side?

if you get it hot enough.  The same soldering iron you use for the other
pads won't be enough.  Hot plates will do it.  Others here have more
experience with that than I do.  The other thing you can do is make a
footprint that has a large hole directly in the center of the part.  By
"large" I'm talking 1/4" or so diameter.  The idea is to let you get in
there with a soldering iron.  You'll likely need a different tip at
least or maybe a more hefty iron though to combat the amount of
heatsinking the board will give.

-Dan