gEDA-user: pcb-elements not working

I am a first time user of this software and have run up against a wall.

I have downloaded a symbol (Reed-Relay_Meder_DIPxx-1C90-51D-2.sym) and accompanying footprint (Reed-Relay_Meder_DIPxx-1C90-51D.fp) from gedasymbols.org. the sym file went into gaf/gschem-sym on my home directory. The fp file went into gag/pcb-elements, also on my home directory.

Geda sees the symbol and allows me to place it in a schematic. When I run gschem2pcb against my project file, I get output that looks like things worked but I get some crazy surface mount footprint in place of what I am hoping for.

My footprint attribute reads "Reed-Relay_Meder_DIPxx-1C90-51D"

My project file looks like this:

schematics cutter.sch
output-name cutter
elements-dir ~/gaf/pcb-elements

gschem2pcb output follows:

lance@lance-laptop:~/gaf/cutter$ gsch2pcb project

---------------------------------
gEDA/gnetlist pcbpins Backend
This backend is EXPERIMENTAL
Use at your own risk!
---------------------------------

Using the m4 processor for pcb footprints

----------------------------------
Done processing.  Work performed:
1 file elements and 0 m4 elements added to cutter.new.pcb.

Next steps:
1.  Run pcb on your file cutter.pcb.
2.  From within PCB, select "File -> Load layout data to paste buffer"
    and select cutter.new.pcb to load the new footprints into your existing layout.
3.  From within PCB, select "File -> Load netlist file" and select
    cutter.net to load the updated netlist.

4.  From within PCB, enter

           :ExecuteFile(cutter.cmd)

    to update the pin names of all footprints.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

Lance