Re: gEDA-user: paid help?

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:41 -0700, Anthony Shanks wrote:
> In my opinion it's worth spending an hour going over the footprint
> file format and just making your footprints in an ASCII editor. Once
> you know the file format it's very fast (< 10 min per footprint on
> average) and you get the exact dimensions you need specified by the
> datasheet. Making footprints with this method in my opinion is easier
> and faster than most closed source tools I have used.

Do you really work on the *.fp files with your text editor?

In early days I have done some fine tuning of existing footprints this
way -- it was no fun.

I really suggest using an generator script like footgen.py, sfg.rb,
scripts from  John Luciani or your own. That makes live much easier, you
can generate whole families of footprints, and you can modify them in a
few seconds.