Re: gEDA-user: Audio processing

On 4/14/10 6:44 PM, John Doty wrote:
  Why is disentangling the chords any more difficult than looking at the frequency spectrum and picking out the peaks?

Because a note isn't a pure tone. If you see 1319 Hz, is that E6 or the third harmonic of A4? The spectrum will contain many more peaks than there are notes. Then, you might have half a dozen instruments, some (guitar, piano, ...) emitting multiple notes. So, what chord is the guitar player playing?

Ahhhh I see, ok. I suppose they're nowhere near sinusoidal. I was thinking in those terms.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL