Re: gEDA-user: Audio processing

Another problem is that the ear is very sensitive to the delay between
the note being struck and the actual sound being produced. The
processing delay has to be in the order of a few milliseconds or life
gets very confusing for the player and any other listeners.

The guitars Roland built for their guitar synthesisers around the
1980's used seperate pickups for each string.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/roland/rolgr30001.html

There's info floating about the web on how they worked and how they
fed signals back to each string through a drive head to turn the
strings into oscillators and so get "infinite" sustain.

The early versions struggled to keep up with playing faster riffs etc.
The later ones were better but even they struggled with the virtuoso
players.

The SynthAxe went to the extreme of only having the strings as a
mechanism to connect to the frets to determine pitch with some sort of
strain gauge to define pitch bend per string. It used 2 sets of
strings, one on the neck for pitch and a second short set for
triggering and envelope generation: start, decay and amplitude of
notes etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SynthAxe

An amazing performance machine but sooooooooooooooooo expensive.

Cheers,

         Andy.