Re: gEDA-user: input/output ports gschem

On Apr 15, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I did a design using input, output, and io ports based on the
> input-2.sym available in the library. I thought that the net attribute
> would make the net between the component's pin and the port to be named
> the same as the port's net attribute, but I was wrong and it's still
> necessary to put a netname on the nets involved to make the logical
> connection at the other side(another port + net + component's set).
>
> 	So the question(suggested by DJ) is: How are these input/output
> graphical ports supposed to work?  Are they merely graphic things, or
> does that net attribute have a special/useful function?

They are for hierarchy, not for making connections between sheets at the same level.

For connecting sheets at the same level, the netname attribute is the thing to use. For clarity, I like to group such connections into busses (which in gschem are just graphical).

For hierarchy, match pinlabel on the symbol representing the subcircuit with the refdes an the connection symbol within the subcircuit schematic.

Here's a fragment of such a design. In particular, look at the DACtoClock block on sheet 2 to see how hierarchy works, and the connections between sheets 1 and 2 for usage of netname and busses.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx