Re: gEDA-user: problems linking the GL-enabled version of pcb

On Apr 14, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:
Well, I had some doubts the first time I did this, but never thought of a big risk in doing so. Just a problem of finding symbols or something.
Need to learn more on this.

Well, a .a file is fundamentally different from a .so file, and they are not interchangeable. Both are used at link time, while .so files are also used (potentially by lots and lots of executables) at runtime. Dinking around with them may break lots of things simultaneously.

For me this is just a (working)workaround since I have never seen
libGL.a being available from nvidia's propietary drivers. Don't know how
ld does the magic to link statically with a dinamic library.

This depends on which ld is in use, but most of the time when you specify "-l<libname>" on the link line it'll use the first one (.a or .so) that it finds, and process it accordingly based on the filename's suffix. No magic whatsoever.

Would be great to know the right way to solve this issue.

The autoconf scripts need to be fixed to link against the libraries in the format that they're found on the system.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL