Re: gEDA-user: gEDA programming

timecop wrote:
just get used to typing gtk_ridiculously_long_function_names_with_lots_of_underscores() and wearing your keyboard out since not a single IDE under Lunix would have code complete or any other code editor improvements us Windows programmers have been taking for granted for years.

For vim (add this to ~/.vimrc to get tab completion):

### begin ###
fun! InsertTabWrapper()
     let col = col('.') - 1
     if !col || getline('.')[col - 1] !~ '\k'
         return "\<tab>"
     else
         return "\<c-p>"
     endif
endfun

inoremap <tab> <c-r>=InsertTabWrapper()<cr>
### end ###

Also for vim to jump to a function decl or var decl in C (even if they are in other files):

### begin ###
if has("cscope")
       set csprg=/usr/bin/cscope
       set csto=0
       set cst
       set nocsverb
       " add any database in current directory
       if filereadable("cscope.out")
           cs add cscope.out
       " else add database pointed to by environment
       elseif $CSCOPE_DB != ""
           cs add $CSCOPE_DB
       endif
       set csverb
endif

map g<C-]> :cs find 3 <C-R>=expand("<cword>")<CR><CR>
map g<C-\> :cs find 0 <C-R>=expand("<cword>")<CR><CR>

I'm not familiar with emacs, but I'm sure the same is possible...

As an FYI, Unix folks have been using this since before GUIs were an itch in Bill Gates pants...  I'm just sayin'  ;-)

Although, I do agree.  Tab-completion has lead to a loss of brevity in the community.  Or, maybe it's modern CS programs, or whatever.  Long naming conventions suck.  Diarrhea of the keyboard, as it were...

hth,

Jason.