Re: gEDA-user: gEDA programming

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 10:42 -0400, Jason wrote:
> timecop wrote:
> > just get used to typing
> > gtk_ridiculously_long_function_names_with_lots_of_underscores() and
> > wearing your keyboard out since not a single IDE under Lunix would
> > have code complete or any other code editor improvements us Windows
> > programmers have been taking for granted for years.
> >

>   Tab-completion has lead to a loss of brevity in the community.  Or, maybe it's modern CS programs, or whatever.  Long naming conventions suck.  Diarrhea of the keyboard, as it were...
>
> hth,
>
> Jason.

I think that in Gtk/Glib case, the large function names are mainly due
to the object oriented nature of the API, being implemented as a naming
convention(since C was not meant for object oriented programming).

If you see or use the C++ wrapers of Glib(glibmm) or Gtk(gtkmm) you will
see a more natural way of coding, without writing long prefixes in the
member functions. The code is cleaner too.

Besides, I see with good eyes the expressive names, since they're easier
to remember/deduce once you get familiar with the naming pattern, and
know the function's purpose.

Best Regards, Felipe.

--
Felipe De la Puente Christen