Re: gEDA-user: passing parameters to a subckt

On Sunday 25 April 2010, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> al davis wrote:
> > Ah ..  there's a good idea ..  "don't have to be exact" ..
> > they never are ....   Not detailed, but just good enough
> > for a beginner. ......  Now we need a volunteer to do it.
> >
> > Have things like a generic parameterizable op-amp. .. with
> > parameters like gain, gbp, and so on.
>
> Parameterized models are already for the user who got beyond
>  the first successful projects. For the first steps, there
>  should be as little room to screw up as possible.

Not really .. remember there are default parameters ..

x1 (1 2 3) opamp
* all default parameter

x2 (3 4 5) opamp gain=10k gbp=1meg slew=10e6
* some parameters specified

> 2) diodes: Any generic diode would do. If in doubt, the
>  parameters of 1N4007 should do.

already there, sort of ....

.model d d
D1 (1 2) d
* all default parameters

but I think what you are leading to is the need for something to
"include" that has several of them with parameters defined.

> 6) Opamps:
>      a) An ideal opamp with essentially infinite
>  amplification, infinite slew rate, zero bias current, no
>  input offset, etc. b) A more realistic model of a common
>  opamp, with bipolar input, e.g. OP07
>      c) A more realistic model of a common opamp with FET
>  input, e.g. TL081
>      d) A more realistic model of a common fast opamp, e.g.
>  LM833
>
> 7) Comparators. Like with the opamps, an idealized model
>  should be complemented with a common real world component.
>  E.g. LM393
>
> 8) Signal source with the capabilities of a simple frequency
>  generator (sine, square, triangle, pulses, sweep)

has one -- spice doesn't

Even with the spice-style "PULSE" and others ,,  Gnucap lets you
specify named values.  I can not remember the order of the
parameters  needed for spice.

> This set of components would already allow for lots of non
>  trivial simulation.

Looks like it would be a nice package ,,  Just "include" it in
the netlist.

>  Other integrated components like analog
>  switches, voltage constants, transformers, or mixers would
>  be nice to have. But they are not essential to get started.
>
> > The vast majority of gnucap users are not geda users.
>
> This might change, if geda provides a way from schematic to
> simulation that is as straight forward as the way from gschem
> to pcb.

I keep hoping.

Another need is post-layout simulation. The dedicated SI
simulators (Hyperlynx and others) have import filters for all of
the commecial layout programs.  We can have that too.  I have
IBIS stored away waiting for a reason to revive it.