Re: gEDA-user: Idea/suggestion for improving the gschem GUI

On 26/04/10 17:29, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:25:09 +0000 (UTC)
> Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:25:59 +0200, Link wrote:
>>
>>> [Adding doackable dialogs like Inkscape are] Just something I thought
>>> would be nice. So, err, yeah.
>>
>> Ack. But please don't do away with the separate window paradigm.
>> For two screen use, docked dialogs would be a regression.
>
> Agreed here.  Dual monitors are just too useful for this kind of work.  Hell, sometimes I find myself wanting a third monitor, and I don't even do anything all that complex. I just wish sometimes that I could place the schematic on one, PCB on another as now, and put things like a terminal to run gsch2pcb and such, tool/library dialogs, etc. on the third.
>
> Trying to cram all that into one screen is just.... stifling.

Aww damnit, now I want a second monitor. Unfortunately, my desk is too
small to accommodate a second monitor of any decent size, and I'd need a
second video card because my current one's second output is used for the
TV, _and_ I have no money for more of such expensive toys.

But, continuing with Inkscape as an example, it does allow you to drag
the panes away from the dock so they become separate windows. Problem
solved!

Oh, and another feature I'd personally find handy: the ability to assign
hotkeys for inserting individual components - e.g. so you could assign
the keystroke "c g" to insert the "gnd-1.sym" symbol - or any other
unassigned keystroke for any component in the library.