Re: gEDA-user: Idea/suggestion for improving the gschem GUI

On Apr 26, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Link wrote:

> Aww damnit, now I want a second monitor. Unfortunately, my desk is too
> small to accommodate a second monitor of any decent size, and I'd need a
> second video card because my current one's second output is used for the
> TV, _and_ I have no money for more of such expensive toys.

I use gschem on systems that range from a 9" netbook to a desktop system with two 19" monitors. I think it scales (up and down) better than most GUI applications. Sugar that's only useful at a particular scale is something especially to be avoided.

> Oh, and another feature I'd personally find handy: the ability to assign
> hotkeys for inserting individual components - e.g. so you could assign
> the keystroke "c g" to insert the "gnd-1.sym" symbol - or any other
> unassigned keystroke for any component in the library.

Now that's the kind of thing the scripting layer should allow you to implement yourself. But the dearth of documentation and examples for Guile scripting in gschem is a problem. I don't know if this is really possible. The situation is better in gnetlist, but hardly good. The result is that the power of gEDA's scripting capability is grossly under-appreciated, probably even by me (and I seem to be its biggest fan).

Please remember that "features" and "capabilities" are largely opposed in software. I would rather ask for an API that allows me to add my own features, rather than a feature that I'd like but would likely get in someone else's way.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx