Re: gEDA-user: Sorta OT: What kind of paper is used for owners manuals?

This is good question.

There are many variables which to consider. I'll suggest to get whitest paper you can find. Good white reference is glossy white inkjet photopaper. Comparing with it it is posible to see which paper is yellow and which is white. Also lightning changes the color so thats why you need reference.

Next thing is to find spotless paper. Thickness and gloss gives smoother opacity and you don't get that much see through  spots.

Third thing is gloss. If you are going to put colorful pictures, use more glossy paper. The downside is printer requirements rise with gloss.

Last thing is weight. Personally I prefer 100g/m² as normal is 80g/m² and eco green is 75g/m². Weight means thickness and thickness on edge means papercuts.

And if you can get chlorine and sulphite free paper, those will last 25+ years.

And the most important part is to put cover to your manual. Use cardboard or some durable material. I usually use 250g/m² grey cardboard. It gives nice contrast and is durable.

Last thing you might consider is coated papers. Problem is that many good pigment coated papers are hard to print. Home and office printers don't often give good results.

My opinnion is that once you have found good paper, buy it and find good printing place and take your own papers with you, That gives also some more options.

If your manual will end up to industrial environments where grease and spills are threathning your manual, select palstic coated paper. Printing will need lot of skills then.

But even if you had world's best paper, layout of your manual can make it unpleasent to read :)

BR,
Hannu Vuolasaho