Re: gEDA-user: default pcb stackup change?

Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 19:42 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> I'm pondering a minor change in pcb's defaults to give us a more
>> useful default stackup.  How's this?
>>
>>   LAYERNAME (1, "top"),
>>   LAYERNAME (2, "ground"),
>>   LAYERNAME (3, "signal2"),
>>   LAYERNAME (4, "signal3"),
>>   LAYERNAME (5, "power"),
>>   LAYERNAME (6, "bottom"),
>>   LAYERNAME (7, "outline"),
>>   LAYERNAME (8, "spare"),
>
> I'm very keen to see this change.
>
> The PCB+GL renderer (for example), needs layers (actually layer group
> numbers) in the correct physical order to be able to figure out how to
> render 3D views. Our current default stack is totally useless for that.

I'd very much like to not have any exporters/renderers requiring the
layers to be in physical order, since I tend to move the final order
around a lot.  My layer order is defined in the README that goes to the
board house, and little text numbers in the layers.

A layer attribute that tells Ben-mode and PCB+GL how to render the stack
may be the way to go.

Is it really the layer order, or the group order that PCB+GL or Ben-mode
uses?

--
Stephan