Re: gEDA-user: Parallel Installation of Stable and Unstable gEDA Version

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 23:10 +0200, Markus Traidl wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    currently I am using gEDA 1.6.2 on a Ubuntu Linux System in a
>    VirtualBox -> this runs very good.
>
>    For test reasons, I would like also to install the 1.7.x version of
>    gEDA. I can do it at a different place - that's no problem.
>
>    But what I am looking for is a good way to switch between the stable
>    and the unstable version?
>
>    What is your way of doing that?

Probably best to install them in different places. Set prefix= on
the ./configure command line. E.g. mine:

./configure --prefix=/home/pcjc2/geda --with-xdgdatadir=/home/pcjc2/.local/share

I then set up my paths to point to these files with a script in
~/.profile:

(snippet)

if [ -f ~/geda.exports ]; then
    `~/geda.exports`
fi

(NO, not the best style in the word!)

The reason being is that the script ~/geda.exports doesn't do anything
directly.. it prints the list of bash commands which you need to run to
set all the environment variables.

cat ~/geda.exports
#!/bin/sh

# echo "# For bash:"
echo export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib:/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/gnucap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
echo export PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/bin:$PATH
echo export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
echo export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/home/pcjc2/geda/share/guile

Probably the PKG_CONFIG_PATH one is not required any more, and possibly
ditto for the GUILE_LOAD_PATH one.. I've been using these since way
before the gEDA build was unified by Peter Brett, and at least the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH one relates to building against the installed libgeda.

Beware that pcb and geda only play nice when installed into the same
prefix, so you will want to install PCB into both places you install
gEDA. Perhaps some kind of symlink to switch between installed versions
into one path would also help.

Finally, since the stable release and devel release have different SO
versions for libgeda, the library is in principle co-installable, but
the shared scheme code etc.. won't be.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,