Re: gEDA-user: Parallel Installation of Stable and Unstable gEDA Version

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:59:06 +0100
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Beware that pcb and geda only play nice when installed into the same
> prefix, so you will want to install PCB into both places you install
> gEDA. Perhaps some kind of symlink to switch between installed
> versions into one path would also help.

I'm curious how pcb and gEDA don't âplay niceâ when installed into
different prefixes?  It works fine for me.

I use gschem installed using dpkg/apt-get (into prefix /usr) but pcb
installed from source into the prefix
/opt/pcb/HEAD_2011-02-21T023427+0000, for instance.

(I have many pcb versions installed in different locations
under /opt/pcb with a single /opt/pcb/current symlink to the one I want
to use by default.)

Regards,
Colin