Re: gEDA-user: gschem/gnetlist potentiometers

[ . . . . .]
> >new pots give similar results. gschem is version 20030525, and gnetlist
> >is too.  The .sch snippet is:
> >
> >C 30200 58300 1 90 0 resistor-variable-2.sym
> >{
> >T 29550 58900 5 10 1 1 0 0
> >refdes=R18
> >T 29700 58500 5 10 1 1 0 0
> >value=1M
> >}
>
> 	The above netlisted fine for me (using the geda test backend),
> but when I used the spice-sdb backend, I got the below message.

[ . . . . .]

> >Found unknown component.  Refdes = R18
> >

> 	Note, the pot did get into the netlist, but most likely not in
> a form that your spice simulator expects.
>
> 	Just based on looking at the backend code, spice-sdb doesn't
> know anything about "VARIABLE_RESISTOR"s.  Is there a workaround or
> solution for this Stuart?  Thank you.

Hmmm. . . .  the netlister looks first at the DEVICE attribute, which
in this case looks like "VARIABLE_RESISTOR".  If the dispatch section
of the Scheme code doesn't recognize the DEVICE attribute, then it
tries to figure out what to do based upon the refdes.

VARIABLE_RESISTOR is not a built-in DEVICE type, which is why you get
this message.  It probably did the right thing anyway 'cause the
refdes was "R18".  Did you see a R18 card in the SPICE deck?

Anyway, I will fix the Scheme code to include this DEVICE type,
and post the fixed code on my website in a day or two.  Please be
patient -- I am traveling right now so I don't always have immediate
access to the net to post patches.

Also, I am interested in hearing about other devices which don't
netlist correctly, or complain about "unknown components"; I am happy
to include them in the dispatcher.

Stuart