Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] Fab drawings and outlines

Stephen Meier wrote:
Charles Lepple wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 01:21  AM, Stephen Meier wrote:
The assembly drawing should be the silk screen layers with extra information.
I think there's a difference between the fabrication drawing that the board house needs for production (which is what DJ is going for, I think) and an assembly drawing that you would use to stuff the board.
[snip]
Assembly drawings are also used to document the board. Which is usefull for debugging and repairing boards. calibrating boards etc.
I understand the value of an assembly drawing. I was just pointing out that it probably should be separate from a fabrication drawing (which is what DJ originally announced).

If you do all of your assembly in your own laboratory, it might make sense to combine the two. But a board manufacturer doesn't need to know the values of the components that will be stuffed, and when you're stuffing components, you probably don't care about drill sizes.

-C