Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog building from CVS

On Friday 06 August 2004 09:04 pm, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Despite its popularity in the x86 world, GCC generates
> horrid code on most, if not all, modern RISC platforms.  The
> vendor-supplied compilers represent a tremendous amount of
> in-the-know optimization and well-funded development that is
> specific to their processor architectures.

Really????

A few years ago, when I had access to a bunch of machines and a
bunch of compilers I tried ACS (precursor to Gnucap) on all of
them, with both GCC and the native one if possible.  The only
one that had any significant difference was Sun's.  The Sun
compiler was about 20% slower than GCC.  Has Sun's compiler
improved that much, or has GCC gotten that much worse?  Perhaps
Sun's compiler is better in some cases, and GCC better in
others?

Having said that...  Looking at the assembly code for C++, I see
that they are still missing some significant optimizations that
are not possible in C.