Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog building from CVS

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:53:28AM +1000, John Sheahan wrote:

> I for one would be interested in hearing the order of performance
> improvements possible
> by compiler choice. In many applications verilog throuput is important.

I don't know what performance increase I expect here.

GCC3.3 versus XLC on the power4 platform sees gains anywhere from
something like 20% to 100% and better on SPEC2000, and I believe that is
without trying to tune for autoparallelization.

A rule of thumb on Irix seems to be that MIPSpro tends to be 5%-30%
faster with just a recompile.  Irix seems to be one platform where a
little hand tuning of C/C++ code can reap tremendous gains.  But, I fear
I'm probably not actually very good at doing those sorts of tunings.