Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!

On Aug 22, 2004, at 12:53 PM, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
Where can I buy one piece of this one in Prague? I would be genuinely
interested :)
You may or may not be able to. I don't know. I know I can get them from
http://www.insight-electronics.com

It doesn't matter - you have to give up on thru-hole on modern CPU's
anyway :)
It does matter.  Through-hole parts are way easier for a complete
neophyte to solder.
I must strongly disagree with this statement. The notion that through-hole soldering is easier than soldering surface-mount devices is, and always has been, a myth. Personally, any more, I *hate* soldering through-hole parts. Sure it takes a steadier hand due to the finer pin spacings and such, but give me an SOIC over a DIP any day.

Perhaps a part of the problem is that people want to be able to solder with a cheap soldering iron they bought at Radio Shack for $12 that has a tip as big as their finger. To that, I say "use crap tools, get crap results". With quality tools, good lighting, and a little bit (maybe a few hours) of practice, I'm convinced that nearly anyone can solder wide-pitch SMT with no problem. Don't want to shell out a few bucks for a quality temperature-controlled iron? Don't try to solder. It's as simple as that.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller