gEDA-user: PCB questions

Harold Skank here.

I'm running PCB-20050315 and a couple of questions have arisen.  Perhaps
someone there can answer them for me.

First of all, from my previous background, I'm accustomed to running
routers that place pin-escape vias before actually starting the primary
routing.  I just routed a board using PCB, and I had to place all of the
pin-escape vias manually before starting the actual route.  Is this the
correct approach, or am I missing something?

Secondly, I keep getting warnings that a short exists between my power
and ground planes.  I suspect that this is a result of some closely
spaced pin-escape vias, but I've been unable to find the problem area on
the board.  Is there an off-line method for checking DRC violations, and
if so, where can I learn about it?

	Harold Skank