RE: gEDA-user: PCB: mesh style plane?

FR4 boards do this if you have a big board with a great amount more
copper on one side than the other.  Putting copper mesh on the other
side is a common method of avoiding it.

Sometimes you can live with a little warping, sometimes you can't.  The
amount of warping you get depends on the thickness of the copper layer
and the FR4.  I think sometimes heating it can make it worse.