Re: gEDA-user: Multiple footprint methodology?

> Yes, I get that.  I asked my question poorly. There is an attribute in
> the symbol that points to the correct pin mapping. I get the concept,
> but I don't know where all the ascii lives, and how it should be split
> up across various files.

Ah.  Set the "footprint" attribute to be the name of the footprint you
want this symbol to map to.  You'll have a different footprint for
each package type.

> Perfect!  Naming convention?  PART-1, PART-2?  Or PART-1, PART-EXTRA-1?

I use part-section, like cs8900-cpu or m32c-io.

> Is there a way to make the "extra" pins have a default tie-off so that
> you don't need to add the extra symbol in designs that don't use those
> pins?

If you don't reference the pins, the netlister just omits them.

> That's not my question -- this is the flip side of "same symbol with
> multiple footprints".  This is different BOM callout, but same footprint
> and same schematic symbol (other than BOM part number).  If I name the
> symbol "ATMEGAx8", can the user simply edit the attribute after
> insertion and not screw up the downstream tools and any library references?

The "device" attribute can be used to hold the device name, which can
be independent of the symbol name and/or footprint name.  For example,
the m32c-cpu symbol could use the "M30835FPGJ" device and the
"tqfp144" footprint.

You can also create new attributes for distributor, part number,
price, whatever you want.