Re: gEDA-user: Multiple footprint methodology?

DJ Delorie wrote:

If you don't reference the pins, the netlister just omits them.

hmmm... so I guess there is no way to get a default tie-off?

That's not my question -- this is the flip side of "same symbol with multiple footprints". This is different BOM callout, but same footprint and same schematic symbol (other than BOM part number). If I name the symbol "ATMEGAx8", can the user simply edit the attribute after insertion and not screw up the downstream tools and any library references?

The "device" attribute can be used to hold the device name, which can be independent of the symbol name and/or footprint name. For example, the m32c-cpu symbol could use the "M30835FPGJ" device and the "tqfp144" footprint.

OK, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Let's see if I understand what you said:
1. I create ATMEGAx8-1, ATMEGAx8-XTRA-1
3. User sets "footprint" to whatever.

-dave