Re: gEDA-user: SMD soldering challenge status

> What if the board actually did something if successfully soldered
> together?

Then you'd worry about destroying the components ;-)

By having it not do anything, I'm free to choose the least expensive
item in each footprint, and the user can solder and desolder as many
times as they like, and not worry about damage or static.  I can also
place them on the board (either side) according to solderability,
rather than worrying about the circuit.  Plus, no connectors or vias.

Besides, at that price, all you get is some pF caps and a couple of
inverter/buffer gates.  The most expensive part on there is the US-8
footprint, which is a single D flip flop, at 31 cents.

Now, if you can come up with something useful using one of each
footprint, that fits on a 16x10mm board, and keep the cost under $2,
let me know :-)

None of that even considers the support aspect.  "Hey DJ, my board
doesn't work.  What did I do wrong?"