Re: gEDA-user: SMD soldering challenge status

Is the intent to practice iron
soldering,
or test oven bake cycles with solder paste?

DJ Delorie wrote:

The questions are: What footprints to use for a proper "challenge"?
We've got four each for the 0201 through 0805 parts, and I can make
the two ICs have either long or short pads. Plus, what about solder
mask?

For score and snap FR-1 board material, I've been thinking a IR reflective wide clearance solder mask would keep the board from heating up everywhere and getting to hot, but still cook where you need it. But with a wide clearance you would also need a normal solder mask.

My first thought is it could be a helpful test aid if it had graduated versions between close to chip legs/lands sizes and oversize that let lots of solder cling on. By oversize, I mean only in the direction of chip leg lengths, not
fatter.

John G

What's ideal? Or should we make it more challenging (and
perhaps cheaper) by not having one at all?

I'm also figuring score-and-snap to separate the boards.  I can leave
a bigger border if I go to double sided.

Comments?