Re: gEDA-user: SO-28 follow up

Peter,

I changed the name to xSO-28, SOIC-28 and they behaved correctly. Thanks for duplicating
my results.

George

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 15:49 +0100, Peter C.J. Clifton wrote:
On Aug 6 2006, George M. Gallant, Jr. wrote:

>Yesterday I posted a message regarding a failure in gsch2pcb when the
>footprint
>contained the string "SO-28". It seems that any footprint beginning with
>"SO-"
>will fail.

Hi,

I'm not a gschem2pcb expert, but AFIK, any footprint with "-" in the name
will cause a failure. When I did this, it ended up in what appeared to be
an infinite loop.

When working with oldlib footprints, the footprint name is fed as input to
GNU M4, which then expands the appropriate footprint macro to a newlib like
symbol. The "-" symbol is treated as M4 macro syntax somehow, which causes
GNU M4 to emit errors.

IIRC, each footprint in oldlib has an M4 macro of the same name, and the
"-" character doesn't appear to be legal in macro names.

My solution was to realise that none of the footprints I'd intended to use
actually had "-" in their oldlib names. If you have some newlib footprints
which do, perhaps there is some command line option to make gschem2pcb only
use newlib (I can't remember, and I'm not at my linux box at the moment).

Does anyone know if there is a way of escaping the "-" so it can appear in
an M4 macro name?

Peter Clifton