Re: gEDA-user: Renumber in PCB/Was/Is List

Bob Paddock wrote:
On Tuesday 15 August 2006 21:58, Dan McMahill wrote:

Just to be clear, DJ was talking about the case where R1## are on page 1, R2## on page 2, etc and was suggesting that a board level renumbering wouldn't mess with the 1st digit. It is this particular case where you're trying to maintain some of the schematic numbering where I wondered if renumbering from the layout made sense. In the case were you're globally renumbering from layout I can certainly see that it would be a preference for some people.

It is my preference that the designators do retain schematic page reference.
I do projects with lots of parts, but only can print out Letter sized schematic
pages.  Makes the board a lot easier to stuff, and less clutter on the bench,
if you only have to deal with one page at a time.  That option should be
configurable.

R1 R2 R3
R4 R5 R6
R7 R8 R9

but maybe you want left to right then top to bottom like

R1 R4 R7
R2 R5 R8
R3 R6 R9

In my many years at a contract manufacture it has always been one of those
two, I have never seen the others you listed, unless it was completely random; those sucked to work on.

then perhaps in the KISS spirit (keep is simple, stupid) these should be the only 2 to support. Someone else suggested sorting by distance from the upper left corner but this seems like it could be a bit confusing in the end.

-Dan