Re: gEDA-user: Renumber in PCB/Was/Is List

DJ Delorie wrote:
You probably need to update the loaded netlist too.

I think the function that changes the element name should be
responsible for that change also.  No point making everyone's life
difficult.

you have to be a bit careful here.

you have R1, R2, R3 on your board which will get renumberd as

R2 -> R1 R1 -> R3 R3 -> R2

if you work this out ahead of time, you can just iterate through the elements and change the names. But if the individual name changes update the netlist, you might go from an original netlist of

net0 R1-1

net1
   R1-2 R2-1

net2
   R2-2 R3-1

net3
   R3-2

and after the R2->R1 change:

net0
   R1-1

net1
   R1-2 R1-1

net2
   R1-2 R3-1

net3
   R3-2

you see the problem already.  R1-1 is now part of 2 nets.

So it seems like maybe what needs to happen is generate an internal was/is list and then for each pin on a net apply the was/is change.

I've done a sort of proof of concept patch for this but it is ugly and needs to be refactored a bit before it could be added.

-Dan