Re: gEDA-user: double buffering in gschem?

On Aug 17 2006, Ales Hvezda wrote:

[snip]
I know X11 can do it (I've done it in Xt apps ages ago) but I don't know how deeply that stuff is buried underneath gtk.

	The lack of double buffering is purely a gschem issue and how
rendering is implemented.  It's just the way gschem was written way
way back (for various reasons).  Hardly optimal.  Can it be fixed, sure.
Does it involve a bit of work, yes.  Might be a fun project too. :)

Sorry to show ignorance, (as I'm away from my computer and the code, so I can't easily check myself) but what is the "backingstore" used for if it isn't double-buffering?

I recall on many occasions, the backingstore pixmap being drawn to simultaneously with the screen (which obviously isn't true double buffering), but isn't the backingstore used for expose events etc?

Peter Clifton