From: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DJ Delorie
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:49 PM
To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: newbie footprint argument Q

> Many, many thanks.  So that's the inner dimension of the space
> between the pins across the DIP in inches?  Is inches standard
> (eek!)?  In other words, would I need to use cm/mm someday, and how
> would I enter that as an argument--or would I just convert to
> inches?

Always, always, always, print the board on paper and "test fit" the
parts before making the board.  I usually measure the pin's actual
diameter with a dial indicator too.

The DIP patterns in the m4 libraries are inches.  Inches are standard
for those because they tend to be spec'd in inches; parts which tend
to be spec'd in mm (like tssops) use mm.  Again, you have to read the
m4 sources to know which is which.

You can check the measurements on the board using the Ctrl-M feature;
use it to set the mark on one point, then move the cursor to another
point.  The status bar should indicate the distance between the points
in the *current* units (i.e. mm or mil, depending on the grid
setting).