gEDA-user: Re: CD ISO install Issues

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:15:50 -0700, Arthur Baldwin wrote:

> Recently I installed the latest version of the CD ISO for the gEDA
> Suite.

Mee too. See yesterdays posts. :-)

>  What I did not expect to encounter was the need to copy
> everything from the CD to the HDD before being able to run the
> "installer" script.

You can run the installer right from the CD if you mount the CD like this:
	mount /cdrom -o exec
This tip was somewhere in one of the numerous READMEs in the main dir of
the ISO image.

> In addition, once it properly installed, I could no
> longer use PgAdmin3

On my system pgadmin v1.4.3 (Jul 22 2006) happily coexists with the geda
tools.

> because the guile library was changed by gEDA to a
> much older version, breaking PgAdmin's ability to run.

I installed all the necessary libs from my distro to prevent this kind of
versioning conflict. I agree, that the geda installer should use its on
board libs only as a last resort. If proper libs are not available, ask the
admin to install them from his regular distribution before falling back to
the CDs versions.

> I understand your desire to keep the modules of the gEDA Project separate

Native binary packages for my distro would indeed be preferred. In my case,
Debian, this is just a matter of time -- time to bug the maintainer to
upgrade the geda packages to the current upstream versions.

> at this point, but these issues are really annoying to me

Both of them were unneccessary.

> and cause me to want to not bother trying to use gEDA for now.

The suite has its strengths and also its weaknesses.
Some of them are cosmetical (no pixel interpolation in the schematic),
some of them affect the usability but can be worked around (no umbrella
application) and some of them are real shortcomings (no way to propagate
changes from pcb back to schematics, no way to automatically
update footprints in a pcb layout). Also, as with every powerful design
tool, it takes a while to get used to the specific concepts of the suite.

Still, it is by far the best eda solution you can get for a linux box.

---<(kaimartin)>---
PS: What distro do you use?

--
Kai-Martin Knaak