Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] query about "move to other side"

On 7/31/07, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When an two-pin element is mirrored to the other side, it would be
nice if the pins stay in the same spot on the board, regardless of the
element's orientation (currently, the pins get swapped if the element
is vertically-oriented).

Does this mean that the mirroring is about the x-axis by default?

Likewise, when a selection is mirrored to the other side, it's
mirrored around the midline of the board, not the location of the
cursor.

I'm thinking we can try to apply some smarts to the mirroring code,
but only if we redesign it all to keep track of the "mirror point"
instead of just some Y offset.  But exactly how does the user expect
it to work?

'm' - mirror element under cursor.  2-pins (or N inline pins) are an
easy guess, but what about DIP packages?  Should packages mirror about
their centroids (i.e. the pins end up in the same exact spots for
N-inline), or mirror about the cursor location?

 If you are mirroring one element, use it's origin.  This is *usually* pin 1 for through hole elements, or centroid for surface mount.  If the mark is displayed at the part origin, the user will know exactly where the mirror point is.  I would not, for example, want the mirror point to be the centroid if the origin was somewhere else.  (Consider the case where you want to mirror more than one part and maintain the positional relationship between them.)

If you are mirroring a selection of elements, have it work like it does for a copy buffer operation where the reference point for the copy is set by the user.

mirror selection (i.e. multiple elements, traces, etc) - how to guess
between Y flip and X flip?  Does it always mirror around the cursor
point, or around the midpoint of the selection?  How do we guess
between X and Y flips?

You don't.  Other packages I worked with in the past allow mirroring about either axis.  You add a command but remove lots of ambiguity.

Joe T

So PCB users, let me know how you think "mirror to other side" should
work!