Re: gEDA-user: Basic questions from a gEDA & Linux noob (replies to Vol15, Issue 24)

Dan McMahill wrote:
> John Doty wrote:
  I see very little burden to making that connection explicit.
>> And sometimes you may want to connect the N well to something other
>> than Vdd.

When I've done layout I always used a layout  vs. schem checker that connected the well
to its surroundings by layers overlapping, and then a mistake of connecting
  the required well ties is caught as a short so you couldn't get past
that point without having it consistent with your netlist.  Having
internal connections with a symbol will give a good netlist that is self consistent
without the chance of leaving off a substrate connection as you place standard cell
symbols on your schematic.

If you make a driver out of many  standard size
transistors and Vss symbols next to each, and accidentally leave off some, you
would find a mismatch way late when you do a layout vs. schematic check.  Or
worse, you could find that running simulations you extended some widths to get size right
and find later that the simulation said you needed so many because a row was left
with substrate unconnected so far, and the model simulated  differently for lack
of capacitance to substrate...

Any method could have mistakes and wasted time, so create one to match
brain-preference-ability of the one using it is best.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1