Re: gEDA-user: Basic questions from a gEDA & Linux noob (replies to Vol15, Issue 24)

John Doty wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2007, at 9:03 AM, John Griessen wrote:
>
>> Felix Fujishiro wrote:
>>  I would like to turn off the visibility, to make it look
>>> 'cleaner' and to avoid any chance of a random connection.... could
>>> you tell
>>> me how I might do that?
>> I found away to minimize a pin via editing the symbol file...not
>> sure if there is a way
>> using the GUI to do it.   I changed a likely flag, and visibility
>> of the pin reduced
>> to the red dot on its end.
>
> The problem I see is that it doesn't "avoid any chance of a random
> connection": touch the dot with a net, it'll connect.
>
> I'll repeat that I think that fighting the tool like this is bad
> form. I see very little burden to making that connection explicit.
> And sometimes you may want to connect the N well to something other
> than Vdd.

Indeed, connecting the bulk to other than the supplies can be important.
  Still, if one really wants this feature, I'd think it would be easy
enough to create a symbol where the bulk terminal is an implicit
connection like some of the digital chips have already.  Just be sure
that you are sure of the right names.  I'd think this would be
compatible with the existing flow, but perhaps I'm missing something.

-Dan