Re: gEDA-user: gschem: how to indicate shields, twisted pair?

On Aug 17, 2007, at 7:29 AM, James Moody wrote:

> I've just started to use gEDA.   My initial project includes both PCBs
> and interconnect cabling.  In cabling you often have twisted pairs and
> shielding that must be indicated, is there some way to indicate
> this in
> gschem?

It depends a bit on how you intend to use the results. We don't have
a netlister that's intended to represent cabling, although I suppose
you could make use of the output of one of the printed circuit ones.

If it's just graphics you're after, you can just draw whatever you
want, and not worry how it will connect.

> What I've used in the past:
>
> For shields: An oval representing a shield, surrounding the group of
> wires that are enclosed in the shield. A connection from the oval to a
> pin on the connector, this is the shield drain wire.

You could make a one pin symbol for your shield, similar to the
ground and power symbols. It's probably easiest to start with one of
those and edit it to look the way you want. Change the name in the
net= attribute to "SHIELD" or something. That will make the correct
connection in the netlist, if you need it.

> For twisted pair: The connections were drawn as a criss-crossing
> pair of
> wires for part of the way between connections.

You can make an "X" of wires by drawing short net segments and
dragging their ends around. Then duplicate and stack as many of those
as you want. The segments don't, by default, connect where the cross,
but they will connect where ends touch.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx