Re: gEDA-user: PCB Command Entry

> I just did this on several components.  The problem I found was that
> the shift-left-click sometimes just placed another instance which I had
> to undo.

It does a "find element under cursor" and replaces the one it finds.
It may just not find one.

> Also, it did not rotate the replacement to the same orientation as
> the original element,

Unfortunately, we don't keep track of the rotation of each element
separately, so there's no easy way for pcb to do this.  We've talked
about this problem before, but there's no easy solution.

> nor did it center the replacement on the location of the old one.

If you're changing the footprint, there's no guarantee that the center
stays the same.  Or the pads.  Or the mark.  Me, I keep the mark in a
predictable location, and snap to it to replace elements.